Adoption of ITIL Foundation to Address Issues Related to Incidents and Problems ( Case Study)
My name is George. Back in 2017, I was working for an IT solution provider. The major clients for the company were HR service providers. With an aggressive leadership team, the company was acquiring clients at an extraordinary pace. With the increase in the number of HR service providers in India and China, the challenges faced by these service providers increased as well and subsequently the company supporting these organizations had to be innovative to support these companies.
The company adopted ITIL in 2017 so that it could effectively meet the challenges thrown at it. With me leading the transition, it was clear that one area where we had to work was to manage issues related to incidents, problems, errors or requests from our clients.
With most of our clients being HR service providers, they processed multiple payrolls. The total number even went up to 50000 sometimes. Because it was crucial, customers often expected us to address their problems immediately.
Realizing the value of ITIL
Being an ITIL foundation certified personal, it was clear to me that we needed a team that had extensive knowledge of ITIL framework. The problems created were the exclusive result of lack of knowledge of ITIL framework and best practices. Consequently, the first step was to get the team certified in ITIL foundation.
By adopting ITIL framework, and by providing ITIL foundation training to our employees, we were able to separate the ways in which we had approached various problems earlier. In the earlier method, we had a huge number of tickets, but we were not addressing problems and incidents separately. With the ITIL certified team identifying this issue, we started dealing with problems and issues in different ways. This also helped the company get a more accurate view of problems and feed the information back to business strategy. Clients wanted to view real-time information about the abnormality and now they could have consulted a known error list. This greatly helped in improving communications with our clients.
Steps were taken
The highly skilled and certified team quickly realized that a couple of more steps had to be taken:
- Establishing a service desk: In contrast to having a separate tab for different clients, it acted as the single point of contact. This gave a reliable way to manage and prioritize issues.
- Identifying and maintaining an index for Incident, Problem, Known Errors, Request for Change: This greatly assisted in defining the priority of an issue or to quickly facilitate a workaround.
- Identify two different dimensions of problem-solving: The proactive and reactive method of problem-solving was brought into action. Proactive problem-solving method aimed at identifying and solving issues caused by a known problem before they occurred. Reactive methodology addressed issues after they surface.
- Maintaining a problem repository: With an extensive list of problems face, the process of providing solutions became much quicker.
- Defining appropriate metrics for monitoring the problem management process.
The new system came with a couple of advantages.
- Improved and prompt communication with clients.
- Development of foresight with respect to incidents and problems.
- Better customer satisfaction.
- Elimination of redundant tasks.
- Improved IT solutions.
ITIL foundation certification has been a great asset in solving multiple problems for the company. The ITIL foundation certified professionals were quick to identify healthy framework changes and keep the company from becoming obsolete along with enhancing the customer experience.